There is no dearth for cross-platform PHP web application frameworks. Not one, Not two, many are there in fact. While some are more famous, others frameworks are also widely popular.
The main aim of these frameworks is to fasten the development and maintenance of web applications. Though not absolutely necessary to use a framework, many PHP developers use them to make their development tasks easier. The other major advantages of CodeIgniter and Symphony frameworks bring with them is that they replace the repetitive coding tasks.
Symfony2 and CodeIgniter are two such PHP frameworks with a slew of features. Here, let us analyze what these frameworks got to offer.
Features of Symfony2
- This framework, for MVC applications, has an easy installation and is also easy to configure. Interestingly, it is a framework that is simple to use; however, with its flexibility of adapting to complex cases.
- The joy of developing applications is promised with the use of Symfony2. There are many tools in Symfony. A tool like Web Debug Toolbar will come in handy for developers.
- Beginners will not find Symfony overwhelming because the framework is very accessible. Beginners have so much access to the huge documentation, professional support and also community support.
- With every component of Symfony having its own Git repository, the developers have the chance to get the code directly. Else, they can download an archive. The other options are that they can install it with PEAR.
- Symfony2 is database engine independent. It is enterprise ready. Even for long-term projects it is very much stable.
- This framework is totally customizable. Numerous development environments come with it by default. Symfony, making the task of developers much simpler, has got multiple tools. Common software engineering tasks can be automated using such tools.
- Is this framework compatible with most database engines? Yes, it is. It is compatible with MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, etc.
- Symfony is one framework which is easy to extend. Therefore, integration with that of other vendor libraries is also easier.
- Data and interface translation is allowed, thanks to the built-in internalization layer, which is automated within Symfony.
- Great data quality in the database, enhanced user experience are made possible with the help of Forms. The Forms in Symfony support automated validation & repopulation.
- Output escaping, cache management features, Routing, Factories, Plugins, Built-in email and API management are some of the characteristics that are helpful in Symfony.
Features of CodeIgniter
- It is a fast, reliable and lightweight framework. The framework also has got a clear documentation. The user guide consists of introduction and tutorial. There are also a number of "how to" guides.
- There are no such coding rules in CodeIgniter that are restrictive in nature. A developer can use his own coding and also naming conventions.
- Monolithic libraries that are of large scale aren't in CodeIgniter. This framework is a lean framework. It helps improve productivity. At the same time, it offers third party plugins for promoting functionality.
- CodeIgniter offers Active Record Database Support, Form and Data validation, XSS filtering and sessions management.
- The framework also offers Image Manipulation Library, FTP class, File Uploading class, Localization and pagination.
- Data Encryption, Full Page Caching, Benchmarking, Error Logging, etc are also possible with the CodeIgnitor framework.